Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Dijon to Paris

Dijon to Paris.

Today starts with a walk around Dijon on the hunt for breakfast.
Since the camera is broken I had the vein hope of trying to get it fixed, bloody impossible without the warranty card, and then it would take six weeks, no joy there. So my photos are on my phone and I'll rip them off my card when I'm reunited with my computer.
Breakfast eased my mood  a little when I found a fantastic chocolatier on the Rue de Liberty so that was my first course, six individually flavoured chocolates taken with a double espresso at one of the dozens of cafés in Dijons centre.
Richard had a meeting with his colleague at the university so I got to do some
"observational research " on the markets and eateries in this area, what a pleasure!
The food market is the only thing open till 10.00a.m. as the normal shops don't open till then. With food like the French have, I would stay home and eat breakfast everyday too.
The market is the hub for early Dijon, fresh fruit and vegetables ring its outside while inside, under cover all forms of charcuitiery, cheese, fish and of course mustard are traded.
By the time I had picked my way through all the stalls it was well after 10.00 so more exploration was called for in the form of pastry items. I couldn't keep up with the amount of Bolongaires, butchers, fromagiery, patisserie, and chocolate shops there were in two kilometers, spoilt for choice but again willing to take them on.
Photos here would be great....sorry....a little later.

I meet up with Richard and we walk around for another hour, it's time to leave Dijon and head back to Paris. I would love to return one day and spend more time. One of the locals commented, "The real France" We buy some rind washed soft cheese, chorizo, crusty bread and fruit for the train...magic.
The bullet train takes us back to Paris, not as comfortably as the first trip, the car is crowded and people are in the wrong seats for better views, upsetting a few but it all works out and we are soon speeding toward Gar de nord.

The first stop is to lighten the load by dropping off some of our gear at the train lockers again, a very good move as the trek begins exploring new highlights in this super city.
Paris is hurried and crammed full of people, they say Parisians are rude, I didn't find that at all, they just have somewhere to be and know how they want to get there. Pardon, Excuse moi, etc etc....is heard constantly. I like these people, because if you don't like their way, no problem, go somewhere else, they don't care.
The all black jersey is a passport to open conversation on the tube, metro and on the street, where one when you come to Paris.
The rest of the food for today is split up in bite size chunks, literally. Millfuille, Tart au Citron again with the pane au chocolate with coffee.



We see the art quater at the top of the Sacred Heart Church, that's a good climb. And views to die for of the whole city. We walk down to "moulin rousse" interesting part of town. We see the Effiel tower light up from the hill, along with every monument we didn't get a chance to pass by two days ago. All this time water, lots of it and food is a focus....for me anyway. By the way people do think your nuts photographing your food with your phone every five minutes. But there is a lot more eccentric people in this town than one cookie taking a few pics on his phone of lunch.

Come to Paris, it will leave you breathless, discover places like Dijon and enjoy great food, wine and brilliant people.

No comments:

Post a Comment