Friday, September 20, 2013

Vienna day one



Another huge day of travel today.
Up yesterday morning to catch an Air Austria flight from Tokyo to here in Vienna, eleven hours on the plane, bugger all sleep, food was ok, just stopped now after nearly being on the go 20 hours.
But.... here's the thing.
We finally get to the hotel after getting off the U4 line four stops too early and walked 2 1/2 km's (Richard got it off google maps) with 20 kilos of luggage...the shape I'm in doesn't lend itself well to that sort of activity, however.
After a clean up at the hotel we took a train back into town and WOW, Vienna at night is mind blowingly beautiful.

(Opera House, Vienna)

















We get into the centre of town, (Karlsplatz) stare in awe at the Opera, take dozens of photos then around the corner from the Opera another of my bucket list moments comes true, Sacher Torte at Hotel Sacher. Iv'e worked with a lot of chefs who have told me varying things about what to expect from this experience, I loved it. The torte was what I thought it would be, the coffee was a little disappointing though. "Time and place" played a big part of this for me, the build up has been twenty years in the making....fantastic.

So, back to front I know, but I got a little excited and had dessert before dinner but anyway....

The main course was the obligatory "Soup, Schnitzel and Apple Strudel"
We dined in Mama's Kitchen....was what it was, need some advise where to go on this one???


Well thats it for today, trying to get the body clock to Euro time now...good luck me :)
Will check in tomorrow from Graz which is were the conference is....



No comments:

Post a Comment